This is a simple but delicious dinner to have during the week, and is a great option for a meat-free meal as well.
I’m not a vegetarian (I’ve tried to be, but have never lasted very long), but I am a firm believer that the majority of carnivores eat far too much meat, and needn’t have it in every meal.
Here’s the recipe for a yummy pea and mushroom risotto, which I tend to serve with a nice garlic baguette, because one carb is just not enough!
Ingredients – serves two
- 200g risotto rice
- 150g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 200g peas – can be frozen or tinned, I tend to use frozen
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and garlic until lightly softened.
- Add the mushrooms and stir until softened.
- Pour in the risotto rice and stir to combine with mushrooms, onion, and garlic.
- Add half the stock, and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- Add the peas, and keep stirring until they cook.
- Add the rest of the stock, and continue stirring until the rice is cooked and the mixture has come together, with the vast majority of the liquid absorbed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste – I like a lot of pepper in this, but it’s all about personal preference.
I like to serve this with garlic bread, but you could also make a simple side salad, or just have it as it is!